Wednesday, December 24, 2008

“Nobody’s Worth That Much”

This is wild: 唐骏年薪为何十亿.

Although the number is a bit of a widespread hyperbole (thanks to the over-enthused hearsay reporters), it’s still really, really wild.

If I may describe the new employer 新华都, the appropriate word would be .. silly. I guess they carried out the event more as a PR campaign than hiring a star manager, only I don’t see how they’d cash in the built awareness. The read here is that they do funny things and they don’t care about spending. Remember the name and don’t be a shareholder.

I talked to my compensation consultant on this. The reply is, first of all, “I thought China is a communism country, am I wrong?” Second, the price tag would get almost anybody, if price is the only consideration, so he hopes the hired is really that good.

He has an additional thought: if he’s to advise that 新华都, he’d have them retag the price to RMB 888 million (instead of the stated RMB 1 billion, whatever is in it) - the new luckier number would do absolutely the same in all aspects. As for the RMB 112 million saved, he’d bill them half of it for the advice. A better deal for everyone, isn’t it?

P.S., A CEO compensation benchmark:

image

http://icecurtain.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment